Friday, December 11, 2009

I'm an engineer, not a meteorologist

So today I received an email from a previous co-worker of mine. He lives in Oklahoma. Despite that, he's actually a smart guy.

But the email says:

"Hey.
Can you tell me what the weather is going to be on Tuesday? My wife and our kid are going to be flying from Seattle to Oklahoma City and I was wondering if they're going to get stuck there on their layover.

Thanks,
Paul"

Now, normally, I'd leave my rants at people who seem to have left all common sense at home to Sally, but I just can't let this go away.

So what I WANT to write is:

Hi Paul,

No. I can't.

I can't because:
1) I left my tinfoil hat at home today. That hat allows me to see the future weather patterns. It's accurate most of the time so it's really a shame that I don't have it.
2) I'm not allowed to. See, the people in Denver get a super secret forcast that we don't share with the rest of the world. So I really can't tell you what the weather is going to be next Tuesday. Not because I don't want to, but because then they'll kick me out of Denver.
3) I'm not a meteorologist.

I just think it's so strange that rather than checking out weather.com, he asked me - as if I have some sort of insider information.

Weird.

2 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

You know, it was a reasonable request. There was simply no reason to get silly, snappy or sarcastic with Doug, whom I happen to love.


*Please be advised that Jack Sh*t is celebrating Opposite Day today. The viewpoints expressed in this comment do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the comment writer. For more information, please go to Jack Sh*t, Gettin’ Fit at http://jackfit.blogspot.com/2009/12/opposite-day.html.

Happy Fun Pants said...

So I actually wrote:

"They're likely to die in an avalanche. Or maybe a tornado. But probably not a hurricane."

Helpful, no?