Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ninety eight

So, Chassis, my awesome 175 pound Great Dane is sick. Again.

She actually had a mass on her spine that the vet took a sample of. The good news? It's not cancerous. The bad news? It needed to be removed.

So today, she had the entire mass removed and she needs antibiotics to make sure that she doesn't get an infection. Compared to the month and a half of antibiotics she was on in the late summer, I'm thrilled that she only needs to be on the meds for a week.

Seems reasonable, right?

It is.

Until you realize that for a HUGE dog like mine, they need a lot of medication. In fact, the meds are usually so expensive, that I've given up getting them refilled at the vets office. Instead, I call around to my local grocery stores because they can usually fill the perscription in a generic form for about half the price. When she was on antibiotics for a month and a half a little while ago, it saved hundreds of dollars by doing it that way.

I knew I was in trouble though, when I called the local pharmacist and gave her the dosage requirements that I needed and she did a double take.

To give you some perspective, the pharmacist (who isn't shocked by people pulling up their sleeves and asking "does this look infected to you?") was shocked at the dosage.

In the end, this means that she will get 7 (SEVEN!) pills twice a day. And for all you math types out there, that means 98 pills.

98 pills of medication for ONE WEEK.

(sigh)

In other news, if you know someone who needs plasma, I'd totally be willing to sell them mine.

2 comments:

Missy said...

I had no idea you had a Great Dane. Those are awesome dogs!

So glad she'll be okay, though! Yay! :) Yes, that's a lot of pills...

Mark and Joella said...

wow...I didn't know you could get antibiotic prescriptions for dogs filled at a regular pharmacy. I don't think I would have ever thought of that :) I will have to keep that in mind if my dogs ever need some...so far I don't think they have.

I hope Chassis gets to feeling better soon :)