Thursday, March 19, 2009

The better to see you with, my pretty!

My eyes are f*cked up.

LOOOOOONG story short, I was in a bad car accident 5 1/2 years ago and my brain swelled. The swelling of the brain made my vision all funky and even though the swelling has gone down to normal, I have issues with "convergence" of my eyes, issues that mean that I have to wear prisms in my glasses or else I get headaches. To be clear, it's not like when you look at me, I look like Rodney Dangerfield or anything...it's just that my eye muscles have to work really hard to constantly move my eyeballs inward. FRACTIONS inward. Again, I'm not wall eyed. NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Anyway, I've been noticing since Monday night that my vision was all janked up in my left eye and I got kind of freaked out because it seemed like it came on pretty suddenly. So I made an appointment with an opthamologist to check out my peepers. I had never seen the opthamologist before, but apparently Tuesday was the day for any and all old people to come see him. Seriously. It even SMELLED like old people. AND I didn't get offered even one piece of Werther's Original candy. Hmmmph.

So Dr. Roe checked me out and dilated my eyes...only to determine that he had no idea what was causing my soreness, the worse vision, and the burning...all only in my left eye. So he said that I could get a new perscription (with more magnitude for my left eye and more prism for both eyes) or I could just wait and see. He literally said, "Do I think that it's something horrible that you're not really showing signs of yet? Well, possibly. But it's either you being hyper sensitive to the changes (i.e. you just noticed that your eyesight is worse in your left eye), or you have MS, or you have a brain tumor. But you should know something more in a week. Call me if the pain gets worse."

Fabulous.

So, what's an Irish girl to do after that news? Go downtown for St. Pat's and celebrate with friends. :)

The only problem is that apparently my left eye never un-dilated. Here I am with my friend Julie and you can see how big my pupils are...

Only I didn't know that it never went down...until the next morning when I put on my eyeliner. I looked in the mirror and was all "That can't be right." Larry even noticed that my left eye was messed up when I came into work.

The good news is that my pupil has gone down since then.

The bad news is that I still don't know why.

In the meantime, here's another St. Pat's picture - one where I don't look quite so sweaty. :)

5 comments:

Slackey said...

My dad's an ophthamologist. They see probaby 90% old people. I got to work in his office in the summers... you get used to the old smell, lol.

Hope you're doing better/not so blind now! :)

turleybenson said...

Ugh, I HATE it when I might have MS or a brain tumor.

What the crap are you supposed to do with that??!!

Amy said...

Looks like you had a nice St. Patty day even with a strange eye.

Anonymous said...

In the immortal words of The Governator: It's not a too-more.

Unknown said...

Hope the eye issue is taken care of soon. Looks like you had a blast regardless.