Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Rollercoaster days

Yesterday was a great day. I had a lot of sleep the night before, I went for a run, had a great day at work, talked to some great people and left messages for some others that have been on my mind and heart.

And then I walked in my back door to find more pee everywhere.

That's right. Chassis has regressed back to issues from over a week ago - just two days after she had finished the antibiotics.

So, this morning, she's at the vet's office. Hopefully they'll be able to make sense out of her situation and why she's showed some improvements but didn't make a full recovery. In the back of my head, I'm remembering the ER vet's thoughts - because she didn't have enough white blood cells to indicate an infection, she could have a blood disorder, an immune deficiency, stones in her bladder, or masses in her bladder. She still isn't showing signs of the blood disorder and the ultrasound cleared her for problems on the last two. That leaves an immune deficiency issue. There is also the thought that she might not have been on the antibiotics long enough or that the ones that she was on weren't the right ones to get rid of the bacteria she has.

At this point, I'm not sure of what options are available. But strangely while I was devastated last week, I'm calm this week. I'm sure that it has something to do with that I've thought a bunch about what choices I would make if the ultrasound showed some issues. I feel somehow guilty about the calm.

I do know this: I want to make whatever decisions come next with all the love that I can. She has been a great dog and I'm confident that I will make the right choice, whatever that may be.

3 comments:

Jayne said...

I'm so bummed for you and your dog! It's so stressful to know what to do...I hope it all ends happily!

Kris said...

Thinking about you and the puppy. Your sense of calm is a great place to be for the both of you.

It's just ME said...

This makes me never want to have a pet. They're like children that won't outlive you. No parent should ever have to go through that. Every pet owner has to expect it.