Tuesday, September 29, 2009

In the dark

Character is what you are in the dark.
-- Dwight L. Moody

Joe (the boyfriend) and I were talking the other day about religion, faith, and spirituality in general. And I suppose that remnants of that conversation are still on my mind.

I have appreciated and loved the part that my spirituality has played in my life. But these days, I'm aware of how often I hear someone say that they're religious and yet their actions don't seem to come close to matching the faith that they're professing to others. I'm aware, acutely, of the times that I have done the same.

Why is it that we, as a people, seem to be so quick to point out others shortcomings? We judge others by their actions and judge ourselves by our intentions entirely too often.

It feels lighter - doesn't it - to forgive others and ourselves?

So what if, instead, we all tried to be the best authentic self we could be?

Not because it gets us a better seat in heaven.

Not because others are watching.

But because it's the right way to live. It's less stressful on our own bodies. It's more harmonious.

It facilitates peace - internally and externally.

No comments: