Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Common Courtesy

A guy in our office is engaged. He's a really nice guy, but like most engineers isn't quite aware of social situations.

Friday he comes up to me...

Him: Hey Anne. I checked with Larry and he said it was okay.
Anne: What was okay?
Him: Well, Larry said that it was okay that I borrow the extra chair in your cube for this weekend.
Anne: Oh. Yeah - if it's okay with Larry I guess it's okay with me. (Larry is our operations manager - so all our stuff in the office is his responsibility).
Him: I'm having an engagement party.
Anne: Um...okay...
Him: So I just figured that it was common courtesy to let you know that I'd be taking your chair. (he names three names) are bringing their chairs to the party, so I only needed a few more.
Anne: Wait. You're saying that it's common courtesy to let me know you're going to be borrowing my chair for a party that other people in the office will be attending but that I'm not invited to?
Him: Yes. Exactly.
Anne: I do not think those words mean what you think they mean.

Annnnnndddd....SCENE.

I'm not even kidding...that is almost word for word how the scene went down.

5 comments:

SuperDave said...

Awwwww, I'm sry
He's a meanie!

Amy said...

So can you put something on the chair like tape so the person will not get hurt. Joking. That is so rude. I do not think people think sometimes before they speak. Oh I am having a party but you can not come.

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Uh... ok. Dude needs to learn when to STOP TALKING.

kristi said...

I'm sure you don't want to go to a party where you have to bring your own work chair. What is that, BYOWC?

Craig said...

Wow. That's another point against men in general. Perhaps you could take the wheels from your chair home over the weekend?