Friday, August 15, 2008

It's raining, it's pouring, Chassis is in her bed snoring

So it's been pouring rain all day today...and you don't have to be a scientist to know that that makes the ground wet. Since Colorado has been short on rain this summer, our ground has been dry and thus, not able to sop up all the rain we've gotten in the last 24 hours.

Chassis, the biggest baby of a dog I know, refuses to go potty in the rain. After work today she didn't want to go outside. I had to stand out there with her constantly commenting "Go Potty!" trying to make it sound like a fun game rather than being irritated at the rain falling on me too. I even tried to explain this to her as she looked at me with sad eyes, her big ol' body shivering in the cold.

I was all, Chassis...I get you. You're cold. So am I. Go potty and we can both go inside for a hot toddy.

So she slowly lumbered to the "yard" that I have (currently covered in at least a half inch of rain water) and squatted. I did my usual "good girl!" praising...only until I realized that she wasn't even peeing.

She was faking peeing so that she didn't have to stand outside in the rain!

On one hand, I'm somehow proud that she realized that fake potty-ing means no more rain, no more shivering, and warm cuddling on the couch.

On the other hand, I'm saddened that my dog is a deceptive bitch.

P.S. We've tried again three other times tonight. Each time she's gone outside it's consisted of her continually shaking her body in the rain right outside the door - she won't even venture in the "yard" again. And why would she? It might involve getting her paws wet. Clearly, she has a tough life.

3 comments:

Jen said...

My dog doesn't like the rain either but he will go potty and then come in as quickly as he can. He loves to be outside and it takes him FOREVER to do his "business" when the weather is nice so I actually welcome the rain because he does it quickly and comes back inside!!

How cold is in Denver? I would love a little cooler weather here in EP!

Ginger said...

Jack won't potty in the rain either.. Oh wait. Yes he will. Does this indicate something about the intelligence of dogs?...or the vulgarity of humans?

Anywho. I wish it would rain like that here..

kristi said...

Rain? What's that? We haven't had rain since about 2005.