Thursday, August 07, 2008

My life: a very boring action movie

Yesterday I stayed late at work to work stuff. I decided to leave right about the same time it started pouring. The rain was such a good thing as we have broken records this summer for most days over 90 degrees, most days in a row over 90 degrees, least amount of rain, and most likely to succeed.

Anyway, the rain made my usual 30 minute commute turn into over an hour - complete with HUGE puddles of water that my car could barely cross. Flash flooding.

I got home and started to make dinner, a rare occurrence to be sure, only to hear the sound of tornado sirens. Seriously. I checked the news and apparently no one in Denver was worried about this - no reports, no stupid little scrolling bulletins. The Weather Channel, on the other hand, was very concerned about this abrupt change and made it sound like a huge twister was likely to land on my lawn. If I had one that is. Coming from Oklahoma where the only news is tornadoes and what's going on with the Sooners, I was disappointed.

No tornadoes, but my power did go out as I got ready for bed. It came back on during the night.

I woke up this morning, got ready and as a way to bring cooler air in my house, I opened up both the back and front doors. Yeah, I's not really safe. I got done getting ready, looked around and realized that my dog had escaped. Well, not really escaped, but left the house. I freaked out - she's never done this before. She always stays inside and she NEVER has a second cup of coffee at home! (come on...tell me someone got this reference!) She was smelling my neighbor's door (all of two feet away from my front door) and was happy to come back inside.

I was leaving for work, I realize that my dog pooped on EVERY stepping stone that I use to get out of my backyard. Granted, it's a small backyard, but she really must've planned it. Therefore, I had to dodge the poop and try to open the gate without smearing poop on the underside of the gate.

I then realized that my bluetooth headset was not in my purse or in my car. As I was talking on the phone, I hit major potholes and bumps such that my piping hot tea spilled all over my car. I tried my best to stop the spilling by screaming obscenities. But that didn't work. Trying to clean it up on the highway while speeding allowed me not to pay attention to the drivers in front of me. Those drivers? They were swerving to get out of the way of a stalled car in the middle of the highway. Yeah - I almost hit that car too.

But now I'm here. At work. Doing work stuff again. And by work stuff I mean typing this blog.

I know. You're disappointed. You hoped that there would actually BE some true adventure that you could find in an action movie. My life in the last 12 hours has been like a bunch of sneezes that were just about to happen only to have someone yell "BLESS YOU!" to stop you from sneezing each time. It's like something was almost going to be exciting and then it just wasn't.

Kind of like this post.


Ginger said...

Your life is a freaking carnival ride compared with mine right now. I haven't left the house in 3 1/2 days! I'm going nuts! What I wouldn't give for spilled tea in the car!

Alas, I get ultra excited when my kid poops. Woohoo! Diaper change! Something to do!

Only 6 more hours until Daddy gets home.. and God forbid I actually do something constructive like fold laundry..

Yeah. I can't wait to get back to work.

happyfunpants said...

Ginger...I so love your comments. Your stories will help me feel not so alone if I ever have kids.

THANK YOU for being honest. :)

Anonymous said...

Bless you!
...and don't call me Shirley.

happyfunpants said...

Haha - thanks for catching the "Airplane" reference.


Whoever you are. :)

lizardlove8496 said...

i wish i could tell a story ike you!!! you are awesome for making it through your crazy night. tawanda!